Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Art of Photography

I started to do some research on The Art of Photography Exhibition in San Diego before traveling out of the North County bubble that consumes my soul. Steven Churchill, the CEO and producer of the show, has been and currently plays an active role in the photography industry of San Diego. He has coordinated with a team of others to produce The Art of Photography Exhibit. He's continued the exhibit each year, since the first one was such a success back in 2004. The show gives out first, second, third, and fourth places including honorable mention awards, ranging from $400-$2000 in prize money,  an entrance fee is required from applicants (international recognition). The judge of the competition, Natasha Egan, is also the curator and associate director of the Museum of Contemporary Photography in Chicago.

This being said, there are a lot of different themes and cultures being pulled together in one space. Entries from all over the world have  been accepted into this exhibit. As I ventured into the centrally-located studio in downtown San Diego, I found it to be a lot larger than I had expected. Though there was plenty of imagery to follow, I wasn't particularly intrigued by the gallery space, content (photography) was diverse and interesting but the experience I had wasn't particularly memorable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment